Boys are often seen as a challenge to teach. They appear to underachieve, exhibit disruptive behaviour and lack motivation for learning. This practical and insightful book will enable you to make a difference to the lives of the boys you teach. It will help you to understand boys and show you how to use that understanding to improve the teaching and learning in your classroom.
This book will help you to:
• explore the factors that influence boys’ behaviour and learning
• learn how boys’ brains develop
• appreciate and utilise boys’ values
• be aware of the cultural and social influences on boys
• value boys’ strengths
• plan for the unique challenges boys present
• match needs to specific classroom activities
• create boy-friendly lessons and classrooms.
Contains photocopiable resources and ideas and materials for in-service training.
Paperback. Contains 64 A4 pages.
Mike Fleetham is an educational consultant who works with teachers and children to help make learning more effective and enjoyable. He specialises in the infusion of innovative, realistic teaching and training methods into existing good practice. He works throughout the UK and abroad.
Contents include: Introduction. Boys’ brains. Boys’ values. Boys and their families. Boys and their schools. Boys and society. I want to understand boys revisited. I want to value and use boys’ strengths. I want to support boys in their challenges. I want to establish boy-friendly teaching. Conclusion. Resources.